PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preliminary report on Cathay Pacific aircraft accident released
Old 31st May 2010, 11:03
yi gung chek gei yuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely No Question about the Outcome!!! Well Done

Playing the Devils Advocate here for a moment though...there are a lot of people suggesting that it would have been foolish to shut down the Engine stuck at 70% due to the fact that " he wouldn't have got reverse and therefor would have overrun the rwy"

So who knew that he was going to get reverse??? They had already tried to bring that engine to idle in flight and it didn't respond....so what is the guarantee that reverse is going to work on the ground?

I agree that at 230kts without the reverse, he most probably would have overrun.... but by shutting down the one stuck at 70%( Once the Landing Was Absolutely Certain) at 2000'/1500'/ 1000'/ 500' and allowing the speed to bleed back, obviously the landing run shortens...slower speed and the flaps would've run to 2...more help etc...

As for the ecams? What ecams? You've got Gear Down, Flaps Out ( as much as you can) Hydraulics for the Brakes from the Idling other Eng/ part Spoilers....Emergency Cancel the Ecams and Land. They are nothing more than a distraction at this point. Ignore them!!!

Again, no problems with what the crew did from my side...Thank God it wasn't me, is what I have been telling myself. Great Job!!! But this is a discussion forum.So who knew whether or not the reverse was going to work???? I would've assumed that it wouldn't as per the previous attempts.

Big Man to shut down the one producing the power I know, but at 230 kts, on a 3 * G/S you've got a hell of a lot of margin for speed reduction. Trade 50 kts of speed away by going slightly low and then pulling the nose up, and your landing run is now almost a non event.

I flew that day, and the winds were snotty... a lot easier to chew up runway with even a slightly misjudged flare at 230 kts than 180

My Two Bits

And here it comes......