PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010, 09:51
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
The program gave a mini-course on supercooled water and pitot heads, but said little or nothing about airframe icing while encountering the phenomenon.

Severe icing from supercooled droplets can be astonishingly sudden, and flying an aircraft in turbulence, with the added burden of ice, could be one reason the crew had difficulty in staying inside the envelope.

I thought the program was quite good. It did have periods of the daft background noises that they seem to think makes things a tad more dramatic, but I noticed this was cut to zero when something important was being said.

I still find it hard to see why we're relying on Black Boxes. Given the amount of data being sent to 'Company', I can't help feeling that total monitoring could be done via satellite these days. While in America, I spend ages chatting to people on Skype. I share this with 20+ million people - many enjoying modest video. If this can be done as a give-away, surely something as important as crew well-being and aircraft integrity could be transmitted in real-time.