View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010, 09:36
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
The Power of PPRuNe

Lynne Gibbons:
I believe we are related???
davidcarp:
Yes Lynne, we are related. I've just rung my Mum and Dad and it all fits.
Don't know about anyone else but that's brought a smile to my face. WW2 was traumatic not only for those who fought in it but also for those that waited in anguish for their safe return and for generations later when they didn't. That there should be a happy outcome to this thread is a welcome and all too rare counter to that norm, and a notable example of the power of good to be found in the likes of this forum.
David, as Icare9 urges, get your Dad talking. His generation didn't do that on the whole, but seem to have discovered their own "Road to Damascus" moment as they have achieved a certain age. They know better than we do the uniqueness and significance of their experiences, both shared and personal, and realise the urgency of passing them on to receptive ears. All we have to do is show that we want to hear from them. Let him know that and you may find he is relieved that he can at last share some of those often painful memories with you. In that way his 90th birthday might be the happiest of his distinguished life, let us hope so.