PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010, 08:33
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
bASSA

What I don't think has been mentioned in these discussions is the wonderful opportunity BASSA has presented, on a plate, to BA and its loyal staff.

There are few situations in business where a serious problem does not present at least some opportunity for advantage and here it is.

This strike by SOME cc has galvanised the vast majority of BA staff into united action to overcome as much of the problem as is possible, to wit, volunteers from within the company training to do the jobs of the strikers, is that without precedent in recent IR history ? One would have thought that could be no clearer message to the strikers that they are going to lose.

Now, with all of this cohesive action within BA to overcome, as far as is possible, this IA at a time of huge losses in exceptionally difficult business conditions, the BA management needs to harness this new team spirit which I would liken to the Blitz, or Dunkirk spirit. How its done is up to the HR experts but what an opportunity !

If, indeed, this new spirit can be retained and used to the advantage of the company and its employees the risk is that it could be undermined by sour, bitter, ex strikers returning and tarnishing the new accord creating a very difficult working environment, totally alien to the needs of a customer service industry. That, I would argue, would be totally counterproductive, so the ONLY answer is to dismiss all current strikers and replace them with fresh, enthusiastic new blood, theres plenty around and many, many excellent cabin crew already within BA who will benefit both with a better working environment and many promotions.

We have the Olympics coming in 2 years, a new government who seem to recognise economic reality, this really is a time to relaunch a fresh, vibrant BA to again show the world what we CAN do and take a top position in world air transport and return to profitability. The opportunity is here let it not be wasted.

.....and who cares if the strikers finish up stacking shelves at Aldi (doubt if Tesco would employ them !) if they lose their jobs it is entirely of their own making.

So come on Willy, sack them all ASAP, and rebuild BA as we knew it.

I, too, am backing BA, as a shareholder and with my cheque book, SYD-LHR next Saturday in Club, again, should be interesting !

PS Whilst figures have been released, or the media have reported, about the direct cost to BA of this IR DURING the strike periods I dread to think about the cost to future bookings or the degradation of the BA brand image.

Time for serious action before ITS TOO LATE !