PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guess Where Our (EK)Bonus Went
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010, 06:24
330 Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EK or Bust,
I am not sure of your situation when you joined, but when I joined I signed 2 documents. One of them says "TRAINING BOND" on the top and the other says "CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT". It is a contract that is valid and binding. (sometimes?) Emirates has in the past lost lawsuits filed in other countries based on breach of contract.

One point I want to make is this. In the last 2 years EK has earned 1.425 billion dollars profit. Over those 2 years the employees have been given 3 weeks profit share, and a 6% pay raise. The government got a large dividend last year and a record dividend this year.

In the 2007-2008 financial year we earned 1.45 billion dollars. That year we were given 14 weeks profit share, 10% raise and a much smaller dividend to the government. Why the disparity and how could it happen?

The answer is simple.
The profit share formula is clearly spelled out in the employee manual. EK management found a way to steal from the employees, get around the profit share formula and give a record dividend to the government in a year that did not have record earnings.

How? By never announcing a profit share target.

No target=no basis for determining profit share. Which means EK can do what ever they want. Which they did. We get 3 weeks and the government gets record dividends.

For ATUK, the EY employees would not be entitled to a profit share because they have never earned a profit. You can call it a profit share or bonus, but with no profit you will get no bonus. Singapore pays a profit share, EK pays one as well but it is based on a minimum profit target. Let Ey charge fares that make a profit, EK will match those fares and we all will get profit share! The EY employees should have gotten a raise though. spin it any way you want but inflation in the UAE is huge and out of controll. I do agree with you about your management. JH has never run a profitable or successful airline.

I heard this the other day on the golf course and for some it is true:
The day you get hired by EK should be the first day you start looking for your next job.

Good luck to us all!

330 man