PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Estimating dead-stick glide performance.
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010, 02:35
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
The other way to give the crews exposure .. and that's the aim with this sort of simex ... is to look at the simple double failure at one end of the spectrum .. and then, say, the double failure but with the gear down at altitude to provide for a high drag situation which might resemble an engine disintegration scenario .. one might even wind in some mistrim on the rudder to introduce a yawing problem .. whatever.

If the pilot can deadstick these in the sim, then his/her ability to read the signs in whatever the real world failure might present are reasonably well enhanced. Surely it's not too much different, philosophically, to a PFL in a lightie .. start with some notional keys for aiming at .. and then massage the descent to suit the picture ?

I think back to an exercise with a bunch of ex-MIL FJ Chinese pilots .. didn't matter WHAT I threw at them .. they all got in just fine, albeit with a modicum of variation in technique amongst the group ... and that was on the first attempt for each of them. I was quite impressed.