PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2010, 23:28
bearfoil

mm43

This looks definitely like a different spoiler than the one in the sea (your image post #1253). I agree wholly that the caption must be in error relative to the outer. It matches number one with number five, (?).

I must say this spoiler exhibits a failure consonant with a great load from underneath, but it also shows that the TL and LE have failed upwards. This is not what is seen with the other spoiler. It may be that the panel is so trashed that its edges articulate in both directions; note it is not leaning against the ship's cabin here.

Thank you for your reply, I think this may lead into a more prolonged assessment, I hope you will stay with us, your work is exemplary, and much appreciated. The landing photos are supreme, they give an excellent view of the strength and the vulnerability of the spoilers . I agree the fasteners remained with the mounting bed, pulled through as the panel left under great duress. A large fracture is seen on the outer edge of the mount, the energy was most profound. This discussion is most instructive on the strengths/weaknesses of materials.

be well

bear

Last edited by bearfoil; 31st May 2010 at 00:12.