PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham R31 in a 152
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2010, 22:48
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Very good Cough.

Aged about 25 (which sadly was a long time ago) I was in the scarily responsible position of managing a number of training and fast jet aeroplane performance and handling trials (occasionally from the back seat). Fortunately I had a very experienced boss who was very ready with helpful advice, and was working with some very very high ability pilots, who were more than happy to point out bluntly if I was about to screw up (or just had done!)

One bit of advice from my boss that I've repeated often in my mind was: "Before making any decision, always run through your mind the phrase 'at the subsequent board of enquiry'".

I've been lucky not to make too many aviation cock-ups since, but the biggest was certainly one where I'd failed to heed that excellent bit of advice, and I try hard never to forget it again. It was, incidentally, also related to landing performance calculations.

G

N.B. I don't have a C152 POH to hand, but don't recall it actually allowing for proverse factors, only adverse ones. Can anybody confirm or deny?