PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2010, 21:41
Diplome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Rigg:

Again, thank you so much for kindly providing the link.

I found the Simpson interview interesting on a few fronts.

His comment which I believe was "Wake up Britain"...is a direct response to the fact that Unite know that they do not have the support of the "man in the street" and are trying to find talking points to gain traction in that arena.

Simpson's offer to negotiate "in front of cameras" was another blatant attempt by Unite/BASSA to play to the average citizen. The obvious problem with this message is that they are having it delivered by Mr. "Can I text about my lunch selection" Simpson who is already discredited with the public regarding his need for publicity. Might have played well but they chose the wrong messenger.

Simpson's frustration regarding BA's lack of urgency regarding meetings (though BA stated, and will, meet with them in Manchester if they are agreeable) was probably genuine.

Unite/BASSA have backed BA into a position where BA's best option may be, while continuing to be available for negotiations, to just continue with their business plan. All of the panic, all of the disagreement, is at the moment between Unite and BASSA. Unite cannot promise to deliver this extremist factions votes for any agreement. The Press is getting this message, BA has GOT that message.

When Simpson states that his members will not come back "punished" he's speaking directly regarding BASSA's militant faction's message. Unfortunately, they may have lost control of their destiny.

I'm finding this all most intruiging and have lost all sympathy for the striking cabin crew. You can only stay so ignorant for so long...then you just become an accessory.

...and please forgive my length of post. I blame it one the second cocktail