PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2010, 21:37
Alice025

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amelin's chart must be equal to TAWS chart (he presumes).
TAWS is from that shuttle flight record in year 2000.

But! Shuttle covered the area in question - but it doesn't mean the project people spent the two following years fine-tuning the resulting terrain map, as they did with other places and airports. Cleaned "errors", adjusted, how to say, it follows they did a lot of work to make it a TAWS usable map, from the data of the Shuttle flight, worked on it, for a long time.
Because Smolensk Northern airport in particular - is not in TAWS database.

So TAWS data re Smolensk may be an approximation, and not to be taken for guidance for automated approach. I mean, it's not for nothing this aerodrome is not officially in the TAWS system - means, they don't guarantee the exactness, simply, has not thought it'll be of use to anybody, when were working on the data.

I think it can be like this.

And I think as the Russian-Polish commission did fly to TAWS makers "to help clarify some details" - may be this is what they were clarifying.
In particular - also - which map of heights is correct - the MAK or the TAWS idea of it.
I think Poles also wanted to know what to use as a base, is MAK map trust-able.

They don't tell us any thing! One has to extrapolate, which questions they had to TAWS. And which answers they've got from the makers. Can be about the map.