PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2010, 16:56
Waddo Liney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

forget - thank you for the kind welcome. I don't think the Southern Cal sun has addled my brain just yet, although, as they say, a picture, is worth a thousand words. It would appear that you have made your point, however, I can't just roll over and play dead.
My flight line experience on the B2 was limited to late 1962 - early 1963 at Finningley, which was early in the B2's service. From that time, I have a very distinct memory of a visit to the OCU by some local ATC cadets. As they stood around in group adjacent to the nosewheel area, watching us work, I very clearly recall asking one of them to support the 28vdc cable while I climbed the ladder to plug it in at the location described in my earlier post. The young lad eagerly complied, much to the envy of his fellow cadets. The 28v connection at that location was very inconvenient, and it was really a two-man job to connect or disconnect...one man supporting the cable while the other manipulated into or out of the receptacle, and a ladder was definitely involved. I would even go as far as saying that it was on the starboard side. So I'm wondering if perhaps the Powers-That-Be sanctioned a mod to move it to the location in the photos - which frankly makes a lot more sense.
Also, the plugs shown in photos 15 and 16 do not seem to resemble the plugs that I recall. In my time, the 28v cable terminated in a NATO socket - 2 large pins and 1 small one, and was flattish in shape. The 200v socket(also NATO standard) had a cubic appearance to accommodate the larger number of pins (4 large and 1 small, I believe).
BTW, how does one "quote" another posting on this thread?