PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2010, 13:47
Boslandew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather on Mull

Tandemrotor

I’m sorry but I don’t understand your reasoning. I may have missed something, a far from rare occurrence these days.

The yachtsman said that the weather over the sea was clear and that the base of the Mull was visible up to about the level of the lighthouse. It is worth mentioning that the yachtsman did not know until later that the aircraft had crashed and his recollections of the weather are possibly less accurate than those who heard the crash.

However, the aircraft did not crash at sea or at the base of the Mull. It crashed at or close to a point that more than one observer said was in fog, five hundred feet above a point that four witnesses said was in fog and on a hill feature which all witnesses on that feature said was in fog.

Now it is not impossible that somewhere above the light house there was an area of VMC, 1000 metres in all directions and 250ft cloudbase. However, all the available evidence from those actually on the Mull is to the contrary. It seems to me to be a reasonable assumption that there is a high degree of probability that the crash site was in IMC.