PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2010, 08:58
scotbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After all the claims and counter claims running through the thousands of posts on this sorry saga, perhaps it is time to remind ourselves that the initial dispute was about whether Cabin Service Directors should take an active part in the service to passengers.

To protect their hallowed 'managerial' roles on world wide fleets, a BASSA council dominated by CSDs was prepared to lead 12000+ cabin crew (many working under completely different conditions) into a twelve day strike over Christmas. Even though that was avoided, their subsequent actions have caused untold damage to BA and alienated most of the other staff in the airline. As an ex-union man, I cannot recall any industrial action which has had so little support - never mind active antagonism - from the staff as a whole.

I have yet to see it denied on these forums that many of the BASSA council have conveniently been able to avoid personal consequences by being off sick.

I feel very sorry for junior crew who have been so cruelly misled and may see their future careers blighted by the stubborn refusal of their 'leaders' to accept the reality of the economic situation facing the airlines of the world.

SB