PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heli down - Devon
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2010, 05:02
griffothefog

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Chapter 9
CRM for Single Pilots

8.1 Self Assessment
The single pilot does not have the benefit of feedback from another crew member and therefore has to learn from his own experiences. However, much can be gained from a little self analysis. After a flight it is worth reflecting on what went well and why this was the case; what did not go so well is probably more easily recalled and one can speculate the reasons for this and how one could handle a similar situation in future. The problem with self assessment is one of keeping a balanced view. This may be helped by discussing events with a colleague who can give a more independent opinion. This will also allow single pilot crews to gain some benefit from each other’s experience. A mark of good CRM is being open about one’s mistakes and sharing the experience with others.
But without 2 crew members, how does he get his hug?

Maybe we should all go to self assessment therapy classes once a week as well and try and discover the deep rooted reasons why bizarrely we all think we can imitate bees for a living

In day's of old one hit the bar, ordered a pint, gave the day a quick glance over and moved on... advances in technology are the only reason safety in the industry remains high.... human nature is impossible to change and for every CRM up to speed Captain safe out in hover land, there will always be the complete opposite flying around somewhere

FWIW, I have attended at least 5 or 6 CRM modules as both a single pilot and as part of a multi crew and have thoroughly enjoyed them all, but have they really changed the way I think when out there on my own????

Dunno

Be honest, most of us are a "there for the grace of god" merchant from some time in the past, so let's not get too carried away .....