PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2010, 03:39
toddianatgmail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, if you're getting told it's a bit of a wait between FSP and commencing OTS I wouldn't be too surprised. Over here at 2FTS we just had a brief on how overstaffed the RAAF currently is for pilots. It's that bad that we're even being offered transfers to the other services (even discharge post-wings if you're really keen to get out), not to mention they're looking at cancelling the next 2FTS course.

Pretty standard, really, the airlines haven't really been recruiting so there's a lot of senior guys who would normally have left but haven't. Just wait - by the time you guys finish 2FTS all you'll be hearing about is how few pilots we have because everybody left for Qantas all at the same time.

For reference, I went through in '08, when the airlines had just finished recruiting heavily. FSP August 2008, then OTS October '08, BFTS April '09, 2FTS Nov '09 and wings by September if I can stay away from scrub rides. Trainee leave between courses = 4 months of paid holidays in two years = pretty much a dream run, except that then we get a 12-24 month wait for conversion. You win some, you lose some...