PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heli down - Devon
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2010, 21:05
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Nice one Hughesey,

So, CRM doesn't apply to single pilot ops then!
This is a classic example to show that it does, and it's a pity that the 'I'll give myself a good talking to' that you refer to, doesn't translate to, 'I will give my recce an extra going over as this is not my normal landing site'.

There are a lot of things that could be discussed about in this incident, things that would come up in an open forum discussion about it, however rather than let the old speculation chip warning appear, let's just look at the 'FACT' that someone who knows the pilot, the landing site and the nature of operations at the incident site tells us,

'Hughes500'
Basically he came in too fast without doing a recce, had landed in the next door field more than a 100 times.
Ignoring the speed, that you cannot verify and the lack of pre landing recce, that unless the pilot admits to not doing, you cannot comment on, we must look at the part of your statement that says they "had landed in the next door field more than a 100 times".

I do wonder, if after landing in this normal LS of a field time and time again, they had ever seen these wires or indeed taken the opportunity to familiarise themselves with the area of operations from the ground perspective as there were many opportunities to do so. If this opportunity was taken, perhaps these wires, any other obstructions and lay of the land would have been seen and appreciated. Perhaps even looking around the site for different approach headings that would be available, depending on the wind direction of the day for example.

The good thing about this incident, apart from the lack of injuries, is that the rest of us can learn from it and will take that extra bit more care when circumstances dictate that we do something slightly different from our normal routine. That Hughesey, is what CRM is about, and if you and others from the 'CRM doesn't apply to the single pilot' mentality world took more notice of it, incidents like this would happen less frequently.

Looking at it in hindsight?..Yes I am. Because that's what CRM allows us to do and learn from.