PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 29th May 2010, 16:45
heffy_inc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But why is Bert Snorkel really there?.................................

He's not silly enough to participate in the Cadet Scheme

One just has to look at his past mmmmmmmmm
If I'm reading these forums right (big IF), for the same reason Morpheus did what he did, and Krusty_34 does what he does - they believe in something. Even though conditions are crap now if people do nothing and just keep walking away - nothing will ever change (and I'm pretty sure that's one of the Singaporean's excuses).

That being said, Rex appears to be a much tougher nut to crack, and it will take something fairly drastic to change their position. Like when they have to start trimming their schedules (again) because of a serious lack of experienced Line and C&T Captain's, very few upgradable F/O's and an oversupply of low-time F/O's; who, without either leaving Rex to build their command time (and paying out their exorbitant 'training costs' in the process) OR ICUS being approved won't be able to upgrade for a very, very long time. Until the deal is inked with CASA for ICUS (another big IF) those cadet's who signed up already have taken a very big gamble with their future.

From what I have gathered as an outsider (and I could be wrong) this is exactly where Rex are headed at the moment.

For those who argue that accepting the conditions Rex have on offer is hurting everyone - they have a valid point. BUT, when a person is faced with a choice between being unemployed OR having a job and building towards a better role and having some kind of income, it isn't necessarily bad (I'm talking DEC's and F/O's here, not the Cadets).

Those people who agree to pay to build RPT jet time (like the schemes in Europe) or "will work free to build hours" have no excuse.

I recently returned to my previous career because I could no longer afford to live on aviation industry wages - and not just for Tech Crew (I was ground crew, as well as working towards my PPL and eventually CPL/ATPL - the traditional way). I stayed in 12 months longer than I should have and am paying an incredibly high financial price for that decision now. But I did what little bit I could to improve the conditions while I was there. A lot of people in our industry simply do not have that opportunity.