PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - qiz about "circling approach"
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2010, 15:21
eagle737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
qiz about "circling approach"

hi,guys,here are some qiz about "circling approach", anybody can help me? thanks!
we choose B738 as the model.

Q1. For TERPS, max allowable circling IAS for CAT D is 165kt(738 with gear down/F15 at max landing weight, actual circling IAS will be 161kt), radii for CAT D is 2.3nm, bank angle for CAT D is 20°. Let's say it's a sea-level airport, our TAS at 1000ft will be 173kt, and the radius of the turn will be 1.2nm——less than half of 2.3nm!! that means we can not make a 180° turn within the protective area while we start our continuous turn to the final!Though we can bank steeper and fly slower during our base turn, but that's a sea-level airport! how about a airport with 6000ft elevation?
so Q1 is how can TERPS set 2.3nm for CAT D as the radii while set 165kt as the max allowable IAS??

Q2. i searched the FAA website and found that some changes had been made for the criterias of circling approach, such as radii. According to the FAA doc 8260.3B CHG 21, since last june, FAA finally started to correct the original flow on its circling criterias. Now the radii (Obstacle Evaluation Area (OEA))will be changed with airport elevation/temp change. i don't know if my understanding is correct or not? if i'm right, now the radii is a variant, is that true? anybody can give me a confirmation?
so Q2 is any jeppesen charts changed for this reason? or any plan to change?
any website i can learn from?

Q3.Actually i do not know very well the TERPS, i can't find a way to download a FAR97.20, i only have Instrument procedure manual (IPM) from FAA website. so anybody can tell the difference between TERPS1/2/3?and difference between PANS-OPS3/4/5? or give me a way to download FAR97.20? thanks a lot!