PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Limiting Factors For Takeoff
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2010, 15:21
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j_t:
Then we concur in respect of the critical problem .. the initial bit.

My observations in the sim in a previous life suggest that there is a BIG need for a LOT of training work to be done before we put aircraft at risk in a reduced obstacle trapezoid scenario ? I have no doubt that just about any half competent pilot can be trained to have a high probability of containment in critical cases ... I just have a concern that the operators won't want to spend the money and effort in the absence of a lot more control by the Regulators.
We concur except for the state-of-the-art birds that track LNAV while rolling and are ready to engage runway track on lift off and then have easily available the OEI procedure (which should be the same as the operator's normal all-engines-operating obstacle departure procedure at an airport like Aspen).

In any case, it is a bad airport, indeed, that has that type of close-in obstacle environment just beyond 300 feet each side of the DER. Even nasty Aspen has no threat until approximately 900 feet to the left of the extended runway centerline close-in.