PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Cdr Jock Dalgleish ...
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2010, 14:53
merv32249213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dove attack

JACO
I served with the RAF at Amman in 1954-55 working in the ASF.
Back in civvy street I followed my engineering trade and in 1965 I was working for Mc Alpine Aviation.
In September 1965 I was selected to return to my old stomping ground, Amman, as engineer i/c . along with pilots to bring aircraft to Luton, EX Jordanian Doves and Herons. There were 6 in total,two Herons and 4 doves. We brought back on the first trip the two Herons and three Doves, leaving one behind, that I and a pilot came back with, 4 weeks later .
On the first trip home,(Papa-Papa Delta+ Four). we had clearance to overfly Syria en route to Nicosia.
After staggering up to cruise height , and leaving Jordanian airspace, Syrian ATC demanded that we had to land at Damascus, in spite of our obtained clearance which we informed them but no luck . We received a veiled MIG threat ,so we had no choice but to round up our herd of aircraft and land.
No explanation was given, but after parting with cigarettes and cash for landing fees we were allowed to continue.
I am always thankful that due to the high standards of the Jordanian technical dept, I did not have one snag on both trips .
By chance. I have in my possession, an old Cert of Airworthiness for one of the Doves Contract No 04289, WITH TJ-ABH Reg crossed out and TJ-ACD replaced
This Document is for 1950-1951 and signed Major B Brown CTO Arab Legion Air Force.
I would be interested to see if the one,in which King Hussien was attacked, was one of the aircraft we brought back.
I am sorry I may have strayed of thread ,but those flights are vivid in my memories, also Wing Cdr Dalgleish, during my time in the RAF at Amman
Mervyn Tew.