PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2010, 14:51
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really can't see where chopcop is coming from.
US style airborne law enforcement seems to revolve around many small flies buzzing about assisting the myriad ants, all armed to the teeth. The UK style has been to utilise an airborne command post to direct the limited, un-armed (mostly), ground assets to the best effect.

The latter approach has made use of one capable aircraft - that's one with the capability to fly in most weathers (IFR by default); get-out-of-cloud training & instrumentation & AP; pilotage to deal with the above; capacity to carry two police (or equivalent) operators; a capable police multi-radio system; a comprehensive camera/TI turret; evidence recording equipment & other extras as may be deemed useful to each operator.

Despite the suggestion of an EC130, for instance, I can't see a single-engine airframe that could support the combination of CAA requirements or operator needs? Yes, DOCs would be lower with just one engine but fuel costs would be similar (EC130 vs EC135 uses just 10% less fuel, and with police equipment strapped on would likely give a similar fuel burn and result in 10% less speed).

The only real way to improve Police Ops worldwide is getting to the scene faster, but the only light on the (distant) horizon would be an ABC/X2 type machine - then we could reduce the number of units to cover a given area . . . but I can't imagine that'll be cheaper!

It's probably true that there are cost savings to be made in the UK, but buying less capable machines, (probably more) pilots, observers & equipment . . . and operating from more bases, maybe, . . . would not seem to be as effective as maintaining the current quality, safety & associated public reassurance.