PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RTO with right seat PF
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2010, 13:41
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In that case, why don't you let your FOs do the CatII/III Landings?
I don't know - it wouldn't take much extra sim time. It's also an SOP for an FO to continue a Cat2/3 approach or landing in the event of an incapacity. Some of our aircraft are missing PVD guidance in the RHS - but that's not an excuse. It's probably historical, like most of these things and will be modified in time.

I am at pains to point out that I don't think my employer is perfect in this regard but they have moved on from: "What does an FO do? Oh yes, moves my CofG quarter of an inch forward." There has been an incredible change for the better since the times of the Atlantic Baron (not that long ago, really).

I'm also not trying to suggest that captains or FOs should be forced into operating outside their experience or comfort zone, just to satisfy some "right" to do everything. The captain is in charge and decides how the operation should proceed, whilst taking input from other crew members - but if he thinks that his opposite number is capable of performing a useful task, then he should be able to delegate that without being stymied by rather narrow rulesets.