PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2010, 13:23
auv-ee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JD-EE
"If you can still get the famn dool parts."
I too am in a business where the products have longer production runs than their components, so I certainly agree about substitutions. I'd be willing to bet that the topology of the circuit has not changed much over the years.

Originally Posted by mm43
A fundamental frequency oscillator combined with a simple divider chain for other timings, and all well within specs, ...
Regarding mm43's conjecture that dividers are used, I bet not. The spec sheet (Dukane model DK120 and DK100 Underwater acoustic locating beacons) shows a different tolerance for the frequency (1kHz/37.5kHz =2.7%) than for the pulse width and repetition rate, each at 10% (each listed as 9ms and 0.9sec from a likely, but unstated, nominal of 10ms and 1 sec, respectively). This means that they are not derived from the same time base. Dukane pingers have been around since 1969 (Dukane Audio Visual, Ultrasonics, and Seacom Divisions), and although the first CMOS ICs appeared in 1968 (CMOS - Development history), the pingers probably were not originally designed with digital dividers. I expect that the design is based on independent 10% tolerance one-shot timers for the pulse length and repetition rate.