PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'No blame' Over RAF Tornado Crash
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2010, 13:22
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No sadder than I, or we could just call it 'getting our facts straight'. Some data on there is wrong (e.g. ZH557) as the guy running the site admits - he's grateful for updates.
Time to get back to the point; The mechanical / design / engineering accident total doesn't seem to show that the F3 was spectacularly dangerous from that point of view, but what is the overall rate of unknown/aircrew error accidents these days? or if that's class. , is it getting worse? I would have expected a general chopping of hours / currency to show up across the Air Force, rather than on one particular type.
It's very difficult to comment from such a distance in time, but deep valley-bashing with the big jugs on, especially half-full and down that valley, is not something I would even have considered. It's not something I would have expected Nige to do; but something led to him, and the other 3, thinking it would be OK. I suspect it's down to familiarity with low level. I remember around 1990 getting about 40+ hours a year of LLOL affil / sweep / whatever. There'll be less now then. Perhaps more importantly, how much do baby pilots get now through flying training, and who with (i.e. recent operational types, which I had even back on the UAS)?