PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2010, 13:21
johnoWhiskyX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needs sorting out

Im not a super important client for BA. I fly from MAN-LHR, LHR-LAS and return about 3 times a year with my wife in economy (clarification, flown twice now since october on above route, prior was just MAN-LHR then virgin to LAS).

99% of the CC have been pleasant, no real interaction. However 1% have been plain rude and snotty with a request for a bottle of water mid flight on a return ( window seat and two unknown people soundly asleep between me and the aisle) was met with a " can't you see im busy" and storm off to the back of the plane.

Anyway. I can find no sympathy for the strikers at present, 27K take home is more than i earn gross! (im lucky and my wife earns considerably more than me) I work for local government investigating serious injuries/fatalities in road accidents, looking at causes and designing solutions.

I would not call the strikers antics professional, nor has anyone i have chatted to. in fact even though im a union member and have been since i started work and would resign rather than my union support Unite and bassa..BASSA needs to be crushed because it is not imo working on behalf of its members, only itself.
Perks such as TS are imo not contractual benefits and can be removed at any time. that BA told people twice before striking this, they are surprised they were taken away? imagine a none contractual attendance bonus, someone is off, no bonus..try arguing out of that.

I am full of admiration for those not striking, trying to keep BA and our national carrier going. I have heard so many concerns about inimidation from strikers, the chants, name calling, emails and texts. And they have the audacity to complain about being bullied and inimidated?

I believe the 90 day redundency recruitment is only if the same position is to be filled. However, if say a CSD was made redundant and replaced with a New fleet CC..that isn't a like for like replacement, it is a new position and could happen immediately.

If and when strikers return to work i would advise keeping their heads down, snide comments or inimidation of none striking crews would allmost certainly lead to harrasment charges and disciplinary procedures. You may be able to intimidate from the picket line..not at work.

I would certainly resume my travels with BA, but not until i knew the trouble makers weren't there anymore to potentially disrupt my plans.

Last edited by johnoWhiskyX; 28th May 2010 at 21:18. Reason: clarification