PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in bad weather, tips and techniques for safety
Old 28th May 2010, 08:11
Ready2Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My CPL(H) training was in winter time and therefore i had a good portion of bad weather back then and lots of opportunities to fly in them.

One of the exercises was to fly just below the ceiling where the blades are already in the clouds (and i mean only the blades - a B206 in this case). This was not to educate this type of flying but merely to add it to your portfolio of tools you have at hand when being confronted with such a situation.

Whenever you have a clearly defined ceiling it is not a problem as vis is usually high then just below the ceiling. The problem starts with a warm front closing in and everything just gets grey around you.

As mentioned a couple of times: Always have a plan B and know where to go just in case. And if it stars to worsen beyond your personal limit, just put it down in a field. That's why we fly helicopters.

I'd be rather willing to sort out/explain why i did land where i did than becoming a part of the statistics.