PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the best Lapel Mic 2 use to record cockpit chatter + ATC onto a digital camera?
Old 28th May 2010, 06:05
Nigey4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats the best Lapel Mic 2 use to record cockpit chatter + ATC onto a digital camera?

Hi folks, i've been reading a lot on here about using different ways of hooking into the radios to get a recording of the ATC and cockpit chatter for a digital camera video. Because im rubbish with electrics and i fly in my freind's PA-28 Warrior i dont want to hardwire or plug anything directly into the radios as i dont want to fry anything! So i want to go down the Lapel Mic route. I'm doing a lot of flights this summer both at home and abroad and would like to get some cockpit chatter on my video's instead of the drone of an engine (although a little engine noise would be nice) I have attempted this trick already and bought this lapel Mic bought from Maplin's........

Mini Tie-Clip Microphone : Electret Condenser Mics : Maplin

i have used it both with the battery thing connected and on its own and got no cockpit chatter at all. Just engine noise. I know its working as i tryed it at home and it picks up the sound, its just not happening in the aircraft. I have the sound on my headset turned up to max, but nothing. My headset is the standard Dave Clark H10-13.4 (If that makes a difference) So i have come to the conclusion that this particular Lapel Mic is not strong enough to be able to capture the sound's of us and ATC. So, is so many of you seam to have got good results out of your lapel mics i was wondering if you could point me in the direction of where you got them from and possibly give me the link to them if its online.

I have found some other lapel mics on Maplin's website (there may be more), but wouldnt have a clue which ones are best (if any?!) so i thought id include these links too for you guys and gals to have a look at if you could help, any other websites/different lapel mic's i'd consider those too, thanks!

Stereo Tie Clip Microphone : Electret Condenser Mics : Maplin
Electret Tie-Clip Microphone : Electret Condenser Mics : Maplin
Electret Tie-Clip Microphone : Electret Condenser Mics : Maplin

Nigel.