PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2010, 05:28
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DCATE,

Quote:'Uh....with some of today's Captians accepting minimum fuel all the time, just how do you think they will divert? They won't have any fuel"Unquote.

DIVERTING means you have reached your planned reserve for diversion,,,hence you WILL have the fuel legally.Diversion fuel includes a go around at your destination...so diverting at your holding altitude will provide an extra margin of fuel at your alternate airport.
I fly around 95 % with minimum block, I diverted 2 times in the last 6 1/2 years.Even used 400 kgs less than minimum block due to a JAA rule when alternate fuel is not required.(cavok/2 runways/different app aids)..by the time i arrive at the airport i saved the 400 kgs(as i usually do/knowledge of routing/flightplan) and still have all the reserve for a flight without this regulation.
Being quite familiar with your company flight plan/airports/routing/ATC/Weather/ground delays/aircraft performance will avoid diverting even by taking the odd 300 Kgs extra just for the sake of it,which costs hell of a lot of money to your airline over the years.
My previous airlines had a fuel monitoring policy and it was clear that if 99% of crews took minimum fuel they would make it with the legal reserve to their destination.
Diverting due to reaching your reserve fuel was not even calling for an office meeting,not even a phone call to the boss (much cheaper for the airline)but overfuelling just for the sakes of it did call for a few emails exchange , i was told.

When time comes to add fuel to to storms and long flow controls,then please do it and you wont feel bad about it believe me.

So please this above statement is purely nonsense.
Know your regs,aircraft and company ops and you will with time realize it.

Last edited by de facto; 28th May 2010 at 06:52.