PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 27th May 2010, 23:38
flybymerchant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to keep insisting on accuracy but....

Tenko/DH.....

you say you have been employed as BA Cabin Crew at LHR for 16 years.

Would it be fair to say that you are therefore 'old contract'? Forgive me if I've got it wrong, but aren't pre-'97 cabin crew paid a significant amount of money more than cabin crew who joined after that date?

If so, and I put my hand up here and admit this isn't my area of expertise, surely when you say you EARN £27,000, you're being ever so slightly economical with the truth, no?

Do you mean that your BASIC PAY is £27,000? If so, surely you actually EARN well over £40,000 (and by that we mean the amount of money you earn in a year before tax, including all allowances, indeed, everything).

Can someone please clarify this for me?

I mean, even our lowest paid LHR cabin crew member must have a BASIC salary of approximately, what, £12,000? Add on the £15,000+ allowances, that makes £27,000.....well above the national average salary, and that's the starter rate on the 'bad' contract.

Surely someone on the 'old contract' who is working full time and has 16 years of annual increments is earning FAR more than £12,000 basic, more like £27,000 basic.

Tenko/DH.....are you still maincrew after 16 years?

Can anyone else confirm what the BASIC pay of a 16 years LHR based full time CC member is?

Otherwise it's all crap right? I mean, can't I claim to only earn £13,000 as a pilot....say what?...you want my variable pay AND my basic pay? And my allowances? Steady on!

Odd that Tenko hasn't replied to any of the questions people have been asking.....maybe he's doing the decent thing and searching out his P60 (only just come through the post), then adding about 10% for the tax-free part of our allowances that don't feature on the P60 and will be back on here tomorrow apologising for accidentally hiding £15,000 (36%) of his salary when asking us to pity how little he earns......

What amuses me is that many people suspect that Tenko is in fact one of Duncan Holley's ingenious alter-egos...this is someone who incredibly 'earned' £42,000 a year for only 20 hours work for British Airways!!! I make that £2,100 an hour...good work if you can get it (although he evidently didn't think so!)

Interesting that many comments have said how the £27,000 figure was well above the national average and that he should be pretty happy with that.....he doesn't seem too happy with £42,000 odd, which is over twice what a fully qualified Nurse/Teacher/Policeman/etc will earn.

What concerns me is that Willie Walsh is promising to protect this pay AND the terms & conditions!

When you think what he could so EASILY do to your contracts, your terms & conditions AND your pay (see Aer Leprechaun) in his current position of utmost supremacy, with such unprecedented support from EVERYONE, don't you think you should bite his hand off?! I would. Thankfully it would appear that more and more CC are starting to realise the nature of the beast.

I just can't help feeling sorry for those few (2500 odd?) CC who are still on strike.....I know they're being deluded, everyone else can see it, and I don;t think they're bad people, but unfortunately they're not leaving WW any other option but to treat them as very naughty boys and girls.

That said I can't help but think that there can only be a small minority of mislead, ill-informed, sheepy guys there, the rest I think we have to now assume are fully-informed militants, hell-bent on BAs destruction.

I think the best option all round would be to agree to go our separate ways.....we carry on supporting BA and rebuilding this shell of an airline towards taking-over-the-world part II and they get 'let go', even if it is seen as 'unfair'....surely that is better than bankrupting the airline? The greater good need to be protected at some stage, no? I think the public are angry at Willie for NOT having sacked anyone yet