PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Built-In Bank Angle Limits
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2010, 22:46
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Badmachine

Aural warnings on the 737 etc saying "Bank Angle - Bank Angle"

On more modern Boeings such as the 777 series (and probably the 787 I would imagine) the same aural warning, but in addition the 'aileron feel' effectively doubles in force making it much more difficult to roll in more bank. Haven't flown the 777 for about 10 years now but I think that about sums it up.

In regard to a turn any Boeing will go up to, but not exceed, 30 degrees of bank with the A/P engaged. Should a SID require a tight turn then the pilot should ensure that a speed limit is programmed into the FMC prior to and after the turn, plus he must ensure that the aircraft is actually flown at that reduced speed.

To expand a little: if the FMC is programmed with the correct reduced speed to reduce the radius of turn then with Vnav engaged the A/P will fly the radius of turn calculated by the FMC up to 30 degrees of bank. If the FMC is not programmed with the correct reduced speed then the A/P will fly the FMC calculated radius of turn regardless of speed mode selected (i.e. Vnav not engaged but flying 180 kts one degree of flap say) and so may bust a SID requirement - this is because the A/P will follow the Lnav track calculated by the FMC given the default speed accelerating to 250 kts below FL 100. Also if the FMC is actually programmed with the correct reduced speed but the pilot elects to use a higher speed in a mode other than Vnav then again the A/P will fly an increased radius of turn because it is limited to 30 degrees of bank.

Time to stop as I am getting very giddy now!

So to sum up: Get the other pilot to programme the FMC, ignore it, and then fly the SID holding flap one until the turn is complete intercepting the radial on raw data.

Hope this is of some help. Note: Life was so easy on the 737-200 as we just flew the SID.

Regards
Exeng