PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Helo Crash Video
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2002, 06:52
GLSNightPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never landed on a navy ship, but I've done it uncounted times on seismic boats & supertankers, in a variety of aircraft. I've also landed on many drilling rigs under tow. The last few years I've been doing it mostly at night, in BH412's & SK76's. My technique is to make a very slow approach, on the steep side of normal, which gives me time to look at all the junk sticking up in the way. I usually see most of it. I don't conciously come to a hover off the side, but I sometimes do while looking for obstructions. IME, the ship's captain never steers in any direction favorable to the helicopter. If he can get you to make a downwind approach, he will. I once made 2 tries, & told the captain he had to turn the ship. He said he couldn't, I said goodbye, & he said "Give me 3 minutes". I've had them turn while I was aboard, so that I had a tailwind when I picked it up. In short, landing on ships is difficult at best, but I'd think nothing about landing on something as big as a carrier steaming into the wind. Piece of cake.