PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 27th May 2010, 22:20
Tiramisu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted by Fargoo
Is it legal to punish someone who is on strike by removing their staff travel priveledges? I'd say not but I guess a guinea pig would need to step up and take it through the courts to find out.

As much as I'm against the strike happening I feel this was a mistake which had it not have happened the strikes may not have gone ahead this time. BA News this week reports 2500 CC member have lost staff travel, I wonder how many actually came in just to keep it. Was it really worth playing that card???
Fargoo,
I'm not sure whether it was a card worth playing either, however it was a very clever card. It was the only way to get some crew to come to work, especially in the case of the commuters. I would be very interested in the exact figures of commuters who've lost their staff travel.
The legality question is an interesting one. When I tried to book a Staff Travel ticket today, this is what it states on the homepage:

"As a serving or former employee of British Airways Plc (BA) you are eligible to use non-contractual staff travel benefits subject to the policy as outlined in the Staff Travel Guide 2009 (STG09)."

It is a non contractual benefit.
My understanding is, if it is a non-contractual benefit, then it is neither a punishment nor illegal to remove this perk.

Sadly, this strike has shown the true colours of some of our striking colleagues. Let's hope it comes to an end soon and we can all get on and do what we do best throughout BA.

I'm BA cabin crew who's proud to cross the picket line.