PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 27th May 2010, 21:30
PC767

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Censorship?

I was involved in a small debate this am with other posters who explained that Alitalia was a model of industrial workers and that other European cabin crew work longer hours than BA crew.

All the posts have gone.

I left with a question. Why do BA pilots on long haul not fly short haul to regulate their hours within the 900hr rule. A genuine question. How come it isn't necessary but it is deemed to be a future requirement for cabin crew.

I've checked the moderators deletion comments (oh yes, they exist, and are usually hilarious.) It is fundamentally NOT censorship, it is all to do with relevance; your post, and the answers to it were irrelevant to the main thrust of this thread. However, this post can stand till you get your answer, and since I'm passing through having a look before bed, let me answer it via an edit.

Mixed-fleet flying is not as simple for pilots as it is for cabin crew. Pilots can only be current on one type at a time, unless there is another type covered by the same licensing requirements. Such as 757/767, who can indeed do a mix of short- and longhaul.

Even if there was a mix of 320-series/330/340 it would not be as simple, since whilst it is possible to mix long and short on those types, there are several major hurdles thrown up by the regulatory authorities when it comes to mixing 2- and 4-engined aircraft.

What is impossible is for a pilot to hold and remain current on, for example 747-400 flying longhaul, mixing that with A-320 or 757/737 for shorthaul. Only a few management pilots have ever held similar ratings, and the only real example I can remember flew Concorde and 757, but not 767, at the same time.

Hope this clarifies the situation somewhat. The issues are an exponential factor greater for pilots flying many types than they are for cabin crew. And unlike certain airlines (CX best example) BA do not "intelligently misuse" longhaul-configured aircraft on shorthaul routes.

I'll go back into my cage now. Apologies, and thanks, to the forum moderators for indulging me.

Sick Squid
Rumours and News Moderator
(The original Cabin Crew forum moderator before handing it over to the best team of mods on the site, who are NOT pilots. That happened because it was realised this area needs non-pilot moderators in charge.