PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2010, 15:30
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Perhaps you have not read the findings of the Investigating BOI - they were quite specific that the forecast weather would have required flight in accordance with IFR in the vicinity of the Mull. The actual observed weather at the Mull was considerably worse than the forecast weather - yet the aircraft average groundspeed from the radar fix on leaving Belfast CTZ until impact was 158 kts. In this respect you may recall that the AAIB assessment of the aircraft speed at impact was "approx 150 kts" whilst attempting an escape manouvre.

I imagine that a fair and independent inqury would ask the BoI to reconsider ALL their comments and findings in light of the fact (advised by MoD) that most of the aircraft systems necessary to execute the manoeuvres you mention were NOT CLEARED for use; and that a safety critical system had been declared "positively dangerous". I don't think the BoI members sought or were given this information, but I know at least one of them was informed a couple of years later. By now, of course, all know the truth so I look forward to their comments.