PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Aircraft Handling During Approach & Landing
Old 27th May 2010, 14:36
AeroTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

ok, after we all agree that great pilots never fail and the question therefore is obsolete......
The flight Safety Foundation Approache and Landing Accident Reduction (ALAR)Task Force found that unstabilized approaches (i.e., approaches conducted either low/slow or high/fast) were a causal factor in 66% of 76 approach and landing accidents and serious incidents worldwide in 1984 through 1997

The task force said that although some low-energy approaches (i.e., low/slow) resulted in loss of aircraft control, most involved CFIT because of inadequate vertical-position awareness.
The task force said that the high-energy approaches (i.e., high/fast) resulted in loss of aircraft control, runway overruns and runway excursions, and contributed to inadequate situational awareness in some CFIT accidents.
The task force also found that flight-handling difficulties (i.e., the crew’s inability to control the aircraft to the desired flight parameters [e.g., airspeed, altitude, rate of descent]) were a causal factor in 45% of 76 approach and landing accidents and serious incidents.

The Task Force said that flight-handling difficulties occured in situations that includes rushing approaches, attempts to comply with demanding ATC clearance, adverse wind condition and improper use of automation.
Regards