PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let 410 / 420 In Oz?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2002, 02:32
Coffee thanks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb found the business card

I found the business card of the very enthusiastic Mark Wilson; 7 Bangalla St Warrawee NSW 2074, ph/fax 02-94897401.

I took a fair look at the LET410 aircraft at Asian Aerospace 2002 in Singapore earlier this year, including speaking to Phillipine airline operator SEAAIR. They were very happy with the aircraft and its economy. They said their total maintenance allowance was around $USD120/hr.

From my notes, so always check yourself and feel free to correct me if wrong: The LET 410 is certified to European JAR standards and the derivative LET 420 to the US FAR standards.

I think that if one was looking for a Twin Otter one would have to have a look at a new LET for around the same price. The STOL isn't as good, but the LET flies faster (around 180knots cruise) and reportedly has lower operating costs carrying the same 19 seats in the unpressurised cabin. Most people don't use the full STOL capability of their aircraft anyway.

The brochure says the aircraft has a MTOW 6600kg, MZFW 5900kg and operating empty weight of 4225kg giving a maximum payload of 1710 kg. I Cannot remember how that compares to Twin Otters.

So what is different: JAR25, not 23, so therefore should have better design features, and over 5700 kg, so ATPL to fly it commercially - have I got that right? Engines do not require hot section inspections in service and are exchanged at factory for $USD60-80K depending on condition after 3000 hours. certainly makes it easy to budget! Think it has water or water/meth injection for max performance takeffs.

The price quoted was about $USD1.8m for the 410 and $USD2.3m for the 420.

Over 1400 built. LZ builds components for Sikorsky, Boeing, Airbus etc. Why aren't they here? predjudice perhaps. By the time we realise the cold war is over, that the czech republic is a parliamentary democracy, that they have a rich aviation tradition of building strong and cheap aircraft, that they are becoming a member of the EU, are members of NATO and the OECD, they will have fully emerged in their new identity as a European nation and the prices will be as high as the rest of the world. In the meantime they represent damned good value for money and a rapidly lowering commercial risk. (BTW anyone looking at a new Warrior etc should also check out the 4 seat ZLIN)

PPrune I promise you I am in no way associated with the company or its representatives, but this topic has hit on my hobby horse - that we have stuck with British and American products for long enough and we should be open to alternatives to keep the big players competing.
Regards.