PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2010, 05:25
Plectron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carjockey - SOME large and otherwise successful airlines hire "cadets" with zero flight time. Some of those airlines apply parameters to the hiring bias of race and nationality along with a mandatory docile and non-assertive nature. If you have ever been in trouble you will not be selected so anyone with any experience in risk assessment is kicked out of the pool. Toss in an exaggerated sense of entitlement and *voila*, there you are. 400 hours of flight time and off you go into the dead of night into a monsoon at some 3rd world "airport" with a 10 year "veteran" at the helm plying his CRM.

The right seat guys I flew with at a large and non-bankrupt major carrier ranged in experience from former Commuter Airline Captains with type ratings and thousands of hours to trained killers who had lots of experience in everything from F-18s to F-16s, Air Force Fighter pilot instructors, C-5 Commanders, and the odd rotor heads who were a delight in every way to work with.

I guess it is a judgement call I don't want to make for you but I know who I am more comfortable waving see-ya-later to my family with.

Just for clarity, not all the low time cadets are frightening and those who are selected properly and trained well (along with a strong elimination program for those not suited for the job) go on to a career with no hiccups. My previous comments notwithstanding.

Last edited by Plectron; 27th May 2010 at 06:09.