PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Helo Crash Video
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2002, 00:37
Nigel Osborn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As John said, in the S61 the non flying pilot had his hands on the throttles for take off and landing in order to maintain rotor rpm as power was applied and to slam it forward if one engine failed. In a tail rotor drive failure case, he would be in the right position to pull back the throttles as the flying pilot's voice increased by 6 octaves in pitch as hopefully he dumped the collective.

In the simulator at FSI, after a couple of goes, it was very easy to handle a TR drive failure on take off or landing if you yelled at the NFP to pull back immediately a sharp yaw occured. Obviously in the simulator you are expecting a failure of some sort every minute unlike real life.

SASless point of throttle positions is valid. A few years ago I was approaching in a Bell 206 with fixed floats to land on a trolley. As I came to the hover, I wanted to turn 90 degrees to the right, so as my foot started to press the pedal, the TR drive gave way. I slammed the throttle shut, rotated 90 degrees, lowered collective and made an impressively quick landing which would have been unlikely in a AS350.