PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 21:26
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may seem rather obvious, but if my company tells me that hard landings are unacceptable and it is official company policy pilots will only conduct smooth landings, does that mean....
I must do smooth landings on dry runways, wet runways, contaminated runways, heavy crosswinds, it doesn't matter, no exceptions or what???

What if I don't? What if I'm so mezmerized by my skill I forget to sufficiently round out and hammer it on? What if I plant the aircraft to break the contaminant or water layer, or slush layer for more effective braking in an attempt to avoid hydroplanning???

Do Air India management, fleet managers, safety officers give you a Mulligan for staying within the required landing distance? Or, if I overshoot the touchdown zone, a little high on speed, slide it on and end up in an overrun or off the runway, do I get an attaboy? Or, if I were to do the same thing, paint it on, overrun and because the overrun turns out to be a 150 foot sudden dropoff and my aircraft plummets to disaster will they promise to check the FDR and confirm that I, at least, did make a smooth landing in compliance with that policy and that I won't be blamed for stuffing it up??? How does it work?

What professional pilot would give two seconds notice to such a silly edict?

Smooth landings are every pilots M.O. Give me a break! Putting it in writing is hilarious, it's such a joke.

Willie