PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 19:11
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iabel; Thanks for your well thought-out analysis of the Emeraude's pinger detection possibilities. The locations you have indicated are ideal possibilities.

Hyperveloce; As the Navy have apparently reported that two pinger signals were detected, I wonder how they came to that conclusion. Consider that the Emeraude was moving at say 10 knots (I think its search speed is mentioned in one of the Interim Reports), then there are doppler shift events to be taken into account. These signals could possibly be indentified as separate entities if each had a detectable difference in their precise frequency and the sub's distance and speed in relation to each pinger was the same. But at this stage there is no way of knowing that, and one or both of the pinger signals detected could be multiple path. The fact that they have clearly indentified 37.5kHz pinger bursts is important, and though there is some current disagreement between the BEA and Ministry of Defence, I am sure that when Phase 4 is being drawn up, a prime area will be in the SW quadrant from West to a position WSW and between 30 to 40NM radius of the LKP.

mm43