PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 17:20
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Good call, flip. You can write to your MP here:
TheyWorkForYou.com: Are your MPs and Peers working for you in the UK's Parliament? Hansard++
My twopenneth:
Dear Chug's MP,
I was delighted to see here BBC News - Ministry of Defence considers Chinook crash review
that Sir Menzies Campbell MP has urged the SoS for Defence, Dr Liam Fox MP, to announce a review into the crash of Chinook Mk2 ZD576 on 2June1994 on the Mull of Kintyre that killed all 29 occupants. Given that the RAF Board of Inquiry at the time found that the aircraft was airworthy and that evidence since is that it was not, in company with all other Chinook Mk2's that were Released to Service over the urgent protestations of the Boscombe Down Test Pilots immediately prior to this tragedy , and that the finding of the Air Marshals Wratten and Day that the pilots were Grossly Negligent (based on no direct evidence whatsoever) was in direct contravention of RAF procedures governing such findings concerning deceased aircrew, I hope that you would also urge the SoS to initiate such a review at the earliest opportunity. A campaign against this 16 year old monstrous injustice has called for the reputations of the pilots, Flt Lts Jonathon Tapper and Richard Cook to be restored by overturning the Air Marshals' finding. Once that has happened an investigation into the Gross Unairworthiness of the Chinook Mk2 fleet at that time should follow, for it was in my view a far worse example of how the MOD reneged on its duty of care by flouting its own airworthiness regulations than was even the Nimrod, already the subject of a damning review by Mr Haddon-Cave QC.

Yours sincerely,
Chugalug2