PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 16:08
ELAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centaurus/Tower Dog

Somatogravic Illusion has probably been a factor in more accidents, particularly in high performance military aircraft, than is widely understood.

At dinner this evening my colleague and I we're discussing two such instances involving CAF CF-18's. I'm sure a close look at the records would find many, many more.

In civilian flying two recent accidents, Gulf Air 072 and Aramavia 967, both have similar profiles of spatial disorientation occuring during a two engine go-around at night or in cloud. Going further back in time there are also more for those who care to look.

A critical point for consideration in this accident might be the differences in performance between the A330 and the previous types the crew may have been familiar with. A substantial difference between what they were historically used to and what they actually experienced could have had a great heightening effect on the sensation of the pitch up illusion if that is what occurred.

This is not to rule out other possibilities, but if the aircraft did do what is reported, this would be a very plausible explanation for why it did so.

ELAC