PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching VRS
Thread: Teaching VRS
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 14:27
Nubian

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thomas Coupling,

What is the purpose of learning about VRS?

What people dont hoist in is that during fully developed VRS the a/c is: OUT OF CONTROL. The pilot cannot take charge of the a/c
Well, I have been instructing in a few diffrent types over the years, (civilian) so only those small things which makes the AS-350 the heavy among them, normally at 3000ft AGL.
I have executed the demo more or like the way Gordy was explaining. At first into the wind to show the student how the aircraft will act in a gentle way, then later with tailwind, which is a diffrent cup of tea.
The latter part, I have developed ROD that is increasing quickly past 6-700ft, as well as reduced attitude and yaw-controll (not as you say out of controll, but reduced controll, so reactions to inputs are delayed)
Now, from both demonstrated cases I have recovered with increased speed by forward cyclic to fly away, and I have done the autorotation recovery. All with great success. In tailwind condition, I've usually lost from 4-700 ft. during recovery.
After demonstrations the students have done the same, and the purpose of the exercise was for the student to recognize the onset/initial indications to avoid entering VRS, but also to know how to recover from it.

What happens in real life with these 'instructors' is that they actually demonstrate IVRS and not VRS.
So, does that mean; I have NEVER had VRS in the first place, or should I be lucky to be alive?
How far do you need to hold VRS to qualify for being "in it"??

Now, of course you can make it more extreme by pulling collective after entering VRS, but what will the point of that be? Forcing the student to change underwear after landing or give up flying, period?

I think this part of instruction is more important than shooting autos all day long to "nail" the numbers of some runway in case of engine failure. How many hours are used for that out of a PPL ticket compared to VRS-training?? Not many are unfortunate enough to have an engine-failure, but everyone who gets into a helicopter without proper knowledge about VRS can have it no matter what!

ps: I have never had VRS before or after my instruction-period unintentionally, so maybe my training was usefull after all?! I think that's the main point with training, to recognize the situation before it gets beyond your controll..