PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Limiting Factors For Takeoff
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 14:11
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
john tullamarine:
I think that we need to call your bluff and ask you to cite some authoritative data to support your claims ?

Now, mutt and I are experienced ops engineers and I don't think we have knowledge of such generic problems ....
I am not a performance engineer, I am a TERPs sort of guy. When I used to be a real pilot (TWA) required us to increase power on the remaining engine (s) in the event of an engine failure after achieving V2 speed.

They also taught at the school house that payload was predicated on reduced thrust with all engines operating and with takeoff power in the event of an engine failure.

Wouldn't be the first time they taught bum scoop.

Having said that, at an airport where obstacles limit the flight path, I would be on a fool's errand if I did not increase thrust on the remaining engine (s) rather than hope to clear that ridgeline 7 miles away by 35 feet.

TWA also did not assess more than 300 feet each side of the takeoff flight path (beyond the airport boundary), which was another reason for advancing to takeoff power in the event of an engine failure.