PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 13:50
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Having flown fast jet-fighters (F-4 Phantom II) i´ve expierienced it myself. Think about formation flying in IMC, the wingtip (not the fuselage) of the lead aircraft being the only available reference. The fact that i´m still living may prove in my case, that i could handle it like most pilots do.

When can it happen and why doesn´t it necessarily lead to an accident, like you are trying to argue? Because a human being has more then one sense giving information to the equilibrium and the sensory illusions asociated with limited availability of those informations should be well known to any pilot with a valid Instrument rating. So you stick to your instruments and wont get any trouble.

Therefore being in IMC or Night, on takeoff or doing a goaround while using the instruments as reference wont lead to those symptoms, because your brain is able to ovverride the wrong information. The more you are prepared for it, the less it will happen.

But being in a approach in VMC and suddenly and unexpectedly loosing sight of RWY and horizon, being forced to commence an unplanned goaround with lot of acceleration (which is even higher if the climb is not initiated immediately), calls for those sensory illusions. And even then you are not alone in the place and with qualified help it will work out fine.

But there are those days.........

However, as mentioned by others, its only one way to fly into the ground during a goaround, and we will hear later what the real cause was.

franzl