PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 13:33
brooksjg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know we are not even close to regulations governing the general flight of UAVs in civil airspace
Oh dear..... misinterpretation and sometimes misrepresentation are a bit of a safety hazard around here!

I NEVER suggested that any UAVs should fly in or near air routes.

If you want to run the line that UAVs will never be allowed in 'civil airspace' without defining what exactly you mean by that: ie. any bit of sky not specifically defined as 'military'? or what? Noting for a moment that Predators based at Bagram MUST pass over, under or through some 'civil' airspace in Afghanistan to get to where they need to go.....

I've no idea how this actually gets regulated inpractice but a knee-jerk 'Never until rules submitted in triplicate and signed off by God (or at least the Pope)' won't ever be helpful. I guess it depends what your 'medium term' is. But I assume you don't mean 'a month or two'. Believe me, if UK National Security was truly an issue and UAVs were the correct response, they would be whizzing round your ears by next week! I was tempted to add 'Get over it' but somehow resisted!