PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Helo Crash Video
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2002, 22:01
SASless

Received 520 Likes on 217 Posts
The crux of the issue is not what spot to take up a hover over...or what kind of approach to make....there shall always be that "worse possible moment" Mrs. Murphey's baby boy knows so well....and that seems to be when all these kinds of things seem to happen .....and again....we begin to see several right answers to the question....be it next to the 6 spot.....aft of the dull end...starboard side....port side. Having a set of hands upon the engine levers, speed selects....whatever they are called seems a wise move....since Mr. Sikorsky likes the lever method vice motorcycle throttle method....whatever method that works to get you to the lowest, softest, dryest, cheapest thing to hit in the most controlled manner would work for me.

As I opined in my previous post....all that thinking was being done with my cold Mountain Dew in my mitt....butt safely sat before the computer....and lots of time to watch that video.....and to repeat...I am so glad it was them and not me! A very sobering video! In a situation like that.....I agree...things happen in very quick speed....hope I never experience that. But that being said, if you "What If ?" game play it....followed by the "What would I do ?" game.....in real life you might have a quicker response time than if you omit the first two steps. Every situation is different...thus every reaction will be different.