PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Limiting Factors For Takeoff
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 12:00
mutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And if you really want an interesting one, look at a MD11 from a hot/high airport and you will find that it is limited by its ability to dump fuel .
Actually it applies to ALL FAR 25 aircraft as it is determined by FAR25.1001 (IIRC) The aircraft must be able to meet approach/landing climb criteria 15 minutes after takeoff with or without a fuel dumping system. The MD11 AFM actually has a section detailing the weights associated with this limitation.

But, that is simply not the categorical case. (weight, performance, etc.)
Sorry but you are incorrect, we operate a WIDE range of aircraft, most are permitted to use DERATE/ASSUMED/FLEX thrust, ONLY ONE OF THEM is required to advance the throttle following an engine failure, and that is the aircraft that FE Hoppy is talking about.

That is not an option for commercial operations in the U.S
We operate under FAR91/121/135, we operate some aircraft with BALANCED FIELD, some without.

It's "nice" that you as an individual get to make that determination.
Believe it or not, I was able to make that determination Based upon the aircraft's capabilities and payload advantages.

might rethink this is I pull up right at the fence(because I calculated balanced field into the overrun)..
Most of our corporate fleet that has the option of DERATE/ASSUMED/FLEX thrust use it. It increases the blade life on some of our engines by 12%, which translates into a financial saving, much to the bosses pleasure.

Aero tech, some of our aircraft are limited to 5 minutes takeoff thrust, some to 10 minutes, some to 5 minutes but 10 minutes in the event of an engine failure. And yes you were right, some of us are on the road hiding out in strange hotels

Mutt