PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 11:24
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ELAC
If this should all prove to be the case, the sad irony is that some of the old dogs and grumbling grandpas will have got it entirely wrong. The airplane may well have crashed, not because the crew relied on the automation too much, but rather because at the critical moment, they relied on the automation too little.
I,m not fishing for compliments, however an "old dog and grumbling grandpa" and even a retired one (also my brain is still working) had this possible chain of events mentioned long ago, fact being with little attention of the younger "modern" pilots. I might have used the incorrect wording though.
One Question being, why they did not rely on automation?

post 357
Post 418

The question, wether the modern pilot used to max extent of automation is fully capable of taking over the workload of the computers (caused by deliberate act or by malfunction) concerning thinking, planing and handling (like the "old dogs" had to do due to lack of reliable automation) is legal. And nobody asking this question is wishing back the old days, but remembers his own flying skills.

I´m not suggesting yet that this has anything to do with the cause and outcome of this tragic accident.

franzl