PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2010, 21:04
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck, you make some VERY valid points. So, I wouldn't despair if I were you.

May I comment on your earlier Sioux City question?

If today's pilot was trained on that aircraft and showed up to work with the same CRM skill set as United Airlines of that day showed up with, AND a qualified training Captain was seated in a now non-existent First Class section, then my guess is that they'd possibly do just as well.
Here's the caveat. (Please, I'm assuming a non third crew)

Today?
In a 3rd or 4th generation aircraft, you aren't likely to lose the Hydraulic system fluid because of check valves in the lines, so we're back to square one. This accident practically mandated these check valves so it isn't likely to happen.

I agree with and understand your remarks. We need to instill in this generation of pilot the necessity of being able to accurately hand fly the machine. Unfortunately, you have to be a master of the automation before you can masterfully use a "voice activated" AFCS. To degenerate this generation of aircraft to attitude, airspeed and ball is probably unwarranted and a waste of time. The DC3 and DC4 era of much higher failure rates is ancient history and therefore shouldn't dictate the need for these sharpened skills, but with a valid flight director and hand flown obedience, these skills can certainly come in handy.

As a footnote to the United DC-10 at Sioux City, it was a four man flight deck on a three man aeroplane with beyond the normal CRM, MCC contributions. Hand flying the S.o.B. was a serious challenge and let's be honest, there wasn't much hand flying going on. There was however, some serious 'creative' manual flying going on and if they hadn't chopped the thrust on landing it probably would have made a greaser instead of a cartwheel. Capt. Haines presentation is awesome.

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 25th May 2010 at 21:52.